Post card, postmarked 1910
The West Band Stand was one of two bandstands that graced Burlington's Crapo Park. Opened in 1896, Crapo Park is named for Philip M. Crapo, one of the community leaders who was instrumental in securing the funding to create the park. In addition to its two Victorian gazebos, the park at one time included a 10,000 seat coliseum that was used for Chautauquas, the 1896 Scholer chutes (a boat slide that plunged 300 feet from the park into the Mississippi River), a bicycle race track, a hedge maze, and the Dreamland Dance Pavilion.
Post card, postmarked 1918